Injury prevention is one of the most essential elements of physical activity, whether you are a seasoned athlete or a weekend warrior. However, many active individuals mistakenly believe that raw strength is the equivalent of muscle strength, often placing them on the direct path towards injury. This is where Functional Movement Screening (FMS) comes in, proudly offered at Green Life Chiropractic & Wellness.
Developed by Gray Cook, one of the world’s most influential injury-prevention experts, Functional Movement Screening is an evidence-based exercise philosophy specially designed for the prevention of injuries. By determining basic movement limitations and muscular imbalances, FMS ensures that problem areas are addressed and debilitating injuries are prevented.
How Does Functional Movement Screening Work?
The Functional Movement Screening consists of seven fundamental movement tests that identify distinct muscle imbalances across the body, as follows:
- Deep Squat – symmetrical and functional mobility of the hips, knees, and ankles.
- Hurdle Step – stability of the hips, knees, and ankles.
- In-Line Lunge – stability and mobility of the torso, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle, and flexibility of the quadriceps.
- Shoulder Mobility – mobility of the shoulder blade and range of motion of the shoulder.
- Straight Leg Raiser – functional flexibility of the hamstring and calf along with stable pelvis maintenance.
- Trunk Stability Push-Up – symmetrical stability of the core.
- Rotary Stability – stability of the core in combination with mobility of the upper and lower body.
Why Choose Us for Your FMS?
As your chiropractic specialist, we utilize FMS as an effective preventative measure not only when the injury is yet to occur but also when patients come to us complaining of pain. The 7-step screening enables us to correctly diagnose the problem and implement a custom treatment plan to help you remain healthy and strong for years to come.
If you would like to take a step closer to injury prevention with the Functional Movement Screening in Annapolis, MD, please do not hesitate to call or email Green Life Chiropractic & Wellness today.